Have you heard? Turnaround Arts: California is expanding to include 10 more elementary and middle schools this August!
This means that, in total, we will be serving:
In preparation for Turnaround Arts: California’s expansion, this past spring we held three principal-focused meetings across the state.
Current principals shared sage advice with our incoming principals about what it takes to be a #TAcalifornia elementary and middle school. Scroll down to see our favorite words of wisdom:
& even more…
- Be patient, be flexible, and always do what’s best for the kids.
- Advocate for the arts by sharing your school’s #TAcalifornia story through press and social media platforms (i.e. instagram, facebook, and twitter).
- Create arts-based traditions throughout your school calendar (E.g. Latin Dance Festival, Spring arts showcase, etc).
- Ask the Turnaround Arts: California Principal Leadership Coach, Dr. Akida Long, questions! There’s no need to reinvent the wheel. You can learn from others and then tweak it to fit for your school, staff, and students.
- Say YES! Participate in everything you can.
- Relationships matter! Build strong relationships with your teachers, aides, custodians, everyone on campus.
- Catalyze teachers to grow beyond their comfort zone and give the students opportunities to explore and experience things they haven’t.
- Create shared leadership by delegating tasks!
- Always identify and celebrate your school’s successes, ALWAYS.
By leveraging resources, building school capacity, and raising visibility about why and how the arts have helped their schools, principals are a key pillar in leading arts-fueled school change efforts.